Friday, July 26, 2013

It likes to call itself "Mansfield Park"...


     It is a truth universally acknowledged that a Jane Austen novel, in possession of even nominal popularity, must be in want of a film adaptation.
Okay, but not this much, honest!

     It's an equally known fact in the Austenite world that "Mansfield Park" is not typically looked on with a great deal of fondness.  This was probably Jane's most political, and least romantic novel.  I first read it about two years ago, not sure what to expect, and though it carries a much more somber tone, and its main character, Fanny Price, is drastically different from your typical Austen heroine, for me, these didn't detract at all from the purpose or the enjoyment of the novel itself.  It still became my (now second) favorite.

I love "Mansfield Park".  And I wish film makers were able to use its deviations from the typical Austen "formula" as a strength and asset, rather than fighting them, and in the process just creating a "Pride and Prejudice" copycat.  It just doesn't turn out well that way.

So... we watched the 2007 ITV  "Mansfield Park".

I guess I should start out by confessing that I tried watching this three or four times before we actually watched the whole thing.  Had a very hard time warming up to it.  I am glad we watched it, but still think Mansfield Park deserves much, much better.

     In regard to story I think the filmmakers tried very hard to keep most of the main plot points intact (except for the Portsmouth trip. more on that later).  But it seems the main difficulty they kept running into was that they had already completely transformed the most critical characters into something they aren't.  When the characters are different people, then their actions within the plot aren't at all going to match what their personality would dictate.  There didn't seem to be much reason behind why the characters were doing what they were doing (or why they objected), besides the novel calling for it.

 "Well, first we do a play, but for some odd reason Fanny thinks it's a bad idea, and apparently so does Edmund.  But then he decides to be in it anyway because bringing a stranger in to fill the extra part would be wrong somehow?  Erm... okay, works for me."

Standing next to the very stiff Mrs. Norris.
The 93 minute running time also really seemed to hurt any attempts at true character development.  But then again, that's why miniseries tend to rule the roost in the world of period drama film adaptations.  The acting felt a wee bit rushed; I can't help but think the actors had a hard time with the character-action discrepancy mentioned above, and as a result, it all felt somewhat artificial and impersonal.  There were, however some marvelous stand-out performances.  Rory Kinnear, really did make for a fabulous Mr. Rushworth.  He balanced the blundering clueless-ness with that tinge of self-importance very well; pathetically vain, but still love-able.  And James D'arcy pulled off the slime-ball Tom Bertram quite nicely.  I was really pleasantly surprised that they could go from Henry Bolingbroke and  Nicholas Nickleby, respectfully, to these two (very different) roles so well. =)

     Most of the costumes were quite lovely, despite some low-cut gowns.  It's really amazing just how many costumes are re-used from one period drama to the next.  Entire websites have been dedicated to spotting duplicates, and while I don't have any linkies to those, just looking at the IMDB trivia page for "Mansfield Park" really blows the mind.  Great costumes.  But Fanny Price's half-up, half-down hairstyle with highlights reealllly didn't fit the period, or Fanny's character for that matter. If Billie Piper needed to keep the highlights, they might have at least pinned it up into a nice regency up-do like most of the other characters had.  Fanny wouldn't have been seen dead in a dress as revealing (significantly more revealing than the others' clothing) or a hairstyle as loose as that.

Smolder faces everybody!

And that's where, I think, the biggest problem lies with this film: Fanny Price.  Billie Piper is an unusual choice for Fanny from the get-go, but the powers that be only make things worse when they try to reform Fanny into a feisty, outgoing, outspoken firecracker whose only resemblance of the original Fanny is her name and necklace.

     Will the real Fanny Price please stand up?  All too often Fanny is dismissed as a mousy, good for nothing pushover that frights at the drop of a hat, and has no opinion on anything nor any capacity to do anything for her own good.  And yeah, of course, any character who isn't a headstrong mover-and-shaker whose character is defined by her actions, but whose main strength is rather in her internal dialogue, strength of moral compass and inward character is going to be tremendously more difficult to portray in such a visual medium as film.  It's only natural that they'd reform her into a sudo Elizabeth Bennet, running through the house with her hair loose, dancing, laughing, smirking, chasing, shrieking, joking, flirting, smoldering (!!!), just an altogether more verb-y type of character.  But this is not her.  Fanny of the novel, on the other hand, has a very different character sketch:

An illustration of Henry Crawford helping Fanny Price into her shawl. From the 1895 edition of Mansfield Park.
Mr. Crawford. Hissss.
     When Mrs. Norris and her sister, Mrs. Bertram decided it would be most charitable to adopt one of their little nieces from their bedraggled sister, Mrs. Price, and raise the addition in the height of English society, their sister jumped at the opportunity and promptly sent Fanny, aged ten.  Fanny was meant to be raised as a sister to her cousins; but, somehow, the family never really lived up to all their "good" intentions, and ended up constantly reminding of her inferior status, and of her duty to be always grateful and indebted to her relatives that pulled her from the mouth of the slums.

     Physically and emotionally injured from poor nutrition and a rattling environment in the early stages of childhood, and now sanctioned to the attic alongside servants' quarters for her bedroom, she's grown up in terrible health, so frail she can only bear a very short horse ride once a day to build up what little strength she can muster.  She knows her place in the family and stays in it, even when the demands of her aunts push her beyond her physical limits.  She's no weakling, though.  Her moral principle always directs her, and she makes no bones (to herself) about when other people are behaving less than ideally.  She sees through others' smoke and mirrors of mannerism, and can judge a person's true motives quite proficiently, though always giving a reasonable margin for the benefit of the doubt.

She was NOT a doormat by any means. She never compromised, and always contemplated carefully before acting. Her sensitivities ought not be held against her, since many of them stemmed from her bad health and inferior position in the family. I think the story really makes a case for better consideration for those that are sensitive or shy, and regret that so many treat Fanny with the contempt and impatience they do. I can only hope they'd be more understanding with the "Fannys" in reality.
 So when Fanny is caught up in a courtship with a man she knows, but must not say why, to be anything but honorable, the pressure is on from all family sides, appealing to her sense of duty to accept the lucky proposal from the impressively superior, and seemingly ideal, gentleman.  Can this suitor actually change his ways like he's promised?  She's doubtful.  But her uncle maintains the authority to send her back home permanently if he's displeased enough with her.  What's a girl to do?

Fanny Price is a quiet, extremely intelligent, extremely moral, introvert who's absolutely out of her element and in a complete pickle.  Who'd blame her for being so timid?  She stands utterly indebted to her uncle and aunts, and has been raised in full knowledge of it.  Her health and history constantly haunts her, but her morals and firm beliefs are steadfast, and she continues in them despite all the forces against her.  Though her constitution may be a weak one, her character is not.

(The story definitely makes the case for better consideration for those who are sensitive or shy.  It's a shame, then, that so many still treat Fanny's character with such contempt and impatience.  One can only hope we'd be wise enough not to let that outlook carry over into real life, in our treatment of real "Fannys")

Hayley Atwell as Mary Crawford and Joseph Beattie as Henry Crawford in Mansfield Park (2007).
"See, we're the villains."
     Our modern culture is definitely slanted to favor the more spunky, outgoing, aggressive girl that doesn't really give a hoot about what others have to say, like, for instance, Mary Crawford *cough*.  So rather than taking the book as it is, film makers tend to look at Mary Crawford's character, who they know is supposed to take the place of the antagonist, and twist her into a much more malevolent, downright villainous character.  Fanny, the heroine, is then left to be twisted into your spunky, go-get-em Mary Crawford/Elizabeth Bennet type character that's much more palatable for today's culture, and easier to translate to a screenplay.  It's a win-win deal for the modern filmmaker, really.

     With all that said, I think it'll probably be a long time before we get to see the real Mansfield Park on screen.  It's, generally speaking, the antithesis of what our culture appreciates today, and when you get down to the nitty gritty, probably much more difficult to translate to screen correctly.  If it ever is done to the book, though, this novel is absolutely brimming with potential.  For now, I guess we can still get some comfort from mentally "casting" the perfect 17-hour spectacle, directed by some person with an appreciation for the Austen novels (maybe a family member vaguely interested in film *cough*), filmed at Chawton house and Chawton cottage, with perfect period-correct costumes, broadcast on BBC 1, followed by a series of encore screenings on PBS, and then released on DVD and Blu Ray with 6 additional hours of deleted scenes and special features.  'Tis exceedingly diverting sport.

13 comments:

Your humble servant said...

Yay! Miss Danderfluff has entered the blogosphere. Welcome welcome welcome.

This is a great review miss Danderfluff!

I too have seen this helpless adaptation which was frankly appalling. Bille Piper is woefully miscast--and she's a bad actress to boot! I've only seen her in one other thing (Shakespeare Retold: Much Ado About Nothing--she played Hero) and she wasn't bad in that. But here, she appeared confused and homely.

Speaking as one who has not read the book, I can say that this film was badly made altogether, no matter what the source material was.

I can also say that the theatrical Mansfield Park (1999) was a better film altogether, but another poor adaptation according to the Jane Austen committee which presides in this house. But even that film is my least favorite of all the theatrical releases and miniseries I have seen--with the 2007 Mansfield Park just below it. So yes, I heartily agree: someone needs to make a decent Mansfield Park, either as a series or for the cinema.

You should write it yourself. :)

One last note: I'm not defending this rancid movie when I say this, but I firmly believe that fans of books ought to consider the process of adaptation more carefully when their favorites are brought to the screen. Screenwriters and Directors are artists, just like authors. It is true that a source material exists; a book or article which is a complete and holistic work according to the desires and vision of the author who created it. The book is there, it exists, it is done. Bam.

Your humble servant said...

You have to believe me when I say that an adaptation is an entirely new work, separate and apart from the original story. The process of adaptation requires a great amount of imagination and savvy. Film is different from prose--completely different. The needs of a film audience are completely different. Often, these films are made with an eye toward viewers who have never read the book--but may if they like the film well enough. A screenwriter who is adapting a story operates under constraints (an artist's secret weapon)-- they have to make choices about what parts of the story to keep and in what way to keep them, and they have to create new material to fill in the gaps and address the needs of a cinematic audience. Once the screenplay is done, then the material is handed off to an army of other artists: director, actors, designers, musicians etc. These artists are all operating under their own constraints and limitations within their own art form to create the best movie they can while still being creative and pursuing artistic fulfillment.

At the end of this arduous process, a work is created which is the result of a multitude of artists all making artistic choices. If that work has some fidelity to the original story or sometimes, the spirit of the original work, then that is a bonus to the readers of the original work.

I believe that in evaluating an adaptation, fidelity to the source is not the best criteria. Take the 2005 Pride and Prejudice by Joe Wright--the Jane Austen committee that lives in this house has determined that that film is a poor adaptation for this reason and that reason and therefore, it is a badly made movie. I find this assertion to be quite poorly reasoned. The film, based on its own merits, is actually quite good; well made, aesthetically beautiful, and technically proficient. It's a stand-alone work that has its own unique value apart from its source material. [as an added bonus, the film is surprisingly faithful to the novel given its running time, but this point is often ignored by Jane Austen committees].

Your humble servant said...

Or take 2001: A Space Odyssey - a film which took its source material and ran with it, resulting in a work which far exceeds the original novel in artistic quality and cultural currency. The Last of the Mohicans is another example of that phenomenon (I think) and so is Christopher Nolan's adaptation of The Prestige (far superior to the original novel).

It's also worth noting perhaps that no one really has a monopoly of opinion on a written work. No actor is going to personify the character in a book according to what every reader has imagined. Every reader has a particular vision of how scenes play out or what characters look or sound like. There is an adaptation that occurs in the mind of every reader when they experience a written work, and not one is like another.

With all of that being said, I have to admit that it would be foolish for a screenwriter to not consider carefully what elements of the original work carry its power, and should be lifted out as faithfully as possible. Screenwriters in recent history have also made a concerted effort to consider the general needs and desires of fans because these are influential audience members who can create buzz around a given project and increase its box office success.

So I see how it is important to maintain some fidelity to the source material, but I also feel it is vitally important for fans of the book(s) to approach the various adaptations as new works, with different criteria for evaluation.

The books will always exist in their entirety. Treasure them for what they are.

Sorry for the lengthy comment. Would it be okay for me to grab my comment and post it on my own page?


One last thing:

"Will the real Fanny Price please stand up? " miss Danderfluff quoting Eminem? What's the world coming to? :)

Ruby Danderfluff said...

Hee hee... After seeing this one, I'm ever so slightly curious regarding the '99 "Mansfield Park". Maybe we'll get a chance to see it, just for comparison's sake (though *some* in this house's Austen committee might not stand for that). The BBC miniseries from '83 is also available on Netflix, so we may end up taking a peek at that one as well.

It's definitely very, very easy for any fan to lose sight (or be entirely ignorant) of the difficulties involved in film-makers' adapting a piece of work into such an entirely different medium. I think we could all use a regular reminder of that. Very well put, sir. (Brava...brava...bravissima!)

Ruby Danderfluff said...

All the same, there seems to be a sort of grey area in the world of literary adaptations where the lines get a little fudged, when it comes to "adaptation" versus "translation" versus "reinterpretation".

When fans look for a film adaptation of a book, I guess you could say it's a lot like asking someone to translate the Mona Lisa into macaroni art. There's absolutely a need for artistic interpretation, and of course, there's no possible way they can include all the detail. Because it's a completely different medium the artist is going to have to shirk some details, and use very different, equally (if not more) talent-demanding techniques to achieve the same effect. But ultimately, if it's done masterfully, it'll still have the same look and feel of the Mona Lisa. And the fans (most of them, anyway) will be happy.

(Now, I don't by ANY means intend to equate film to macaroni art. I understand as best as my civilian mind can that film is truly an art, and the result of an incredibly complicated process. Macaroni is just an example of a medium with a different necessary skill set. And pasta is fun.)

There's also a place in the world for a Mona Lisa, made out of macaroni, that's been, say, re-worked into a zombie. It's art too! The fans that wanted the non-zombiefied macaroni Mona aren't going to buy the zombified Mona, because that's not what they want. And that's fine, there's a market for both. That's no big deal, except that this re-imagining is still being marketed as "Macaroni Mona Lisa". So now, people too lazy to actually travel to France and see the real Mona Lisa have a skewed, adulterated impression of what the look and feel of the Mona Lisa really is. They see the widely circulated, wildly popular zombie macaroni "Mona" and, very reasonably, assume the Mona Lisa is a zombie portrait. It's incredibly unfair to Leonardo Da Vinci.

You start running into problems when artistic interpretation (or translation) turns into a mis-labeled re-imagining.

This brings to mind a movie our family saw recently. "Clueless" is a loosely based interpretation of "Emma", set in modern times. Now, I'd have a cow if there was an actual "Emma" *adaptation* where Robert Martin smoked weed. But "Clueless" is not "Emma". It never claimed to be. So those who aren't familiar with Austen can enjoy it without getting any serious impressions, negative or positive, of Jane Austen herself; but if they really enjoyed "Clueless", it might peak their curiosity to check out the book it was "loosely based on". And, of course, and Austenite can appreciate how they did translate so many bits and pieces of the book (rather cleverly, I might add), without feeling the need to scream "Blasphemy!!!" when "Travis" smokes his weed. Everyone wins... (except Travis, 'cause smoking weed isn't good for him.)

Anyway, all to say, there's plenty of room in the world for the Mona Lisa, Macaroni Mona Lisa, *and* Zombie Macaroni Mona Lisa. But the powers that be would do well to not label "Zombie Macaroni Mona" as straight up "Macaroni Mona". That's false advertising.

Ruby Danderfluff said...

A film definitely should not be judged based solely on how it clung to the source material, I agree. That would be very silly indeed. I guess my angle for this post, though, was to focus mainly on how drastically the characters were altered (read the book *cough*), just because that's what I noticed most distinctly. Didn't really feel strongly enough to write about the other aspects of the flick. =)

Like you were saying, no one really does have any one opinion on how a book's adaptation should look. It's really amazing, then, how one adapted piece *can* be so universally accepted by a wide variety of people, like, say the '95 "Pride and Prejudice". Even though there are bound to be versions the Austenites start civil wars over, I do think Austen films can be created in a way to appeal to everyone, and keep Jane from rolling over in her grave. That's always a good thing.

Is it terrible that we really, really enjoyed "Shakespeare Retold"? I guess we have a thing for modern adaptations of classics. Which is ironic. Ha Ha.

Thanks for stopping in, Cade! Really appreciate all your thoughts and comments. You really, really don't need permission to post that comment on your blog, for goodness sakes. I've definitely pulled much, much less over here. =P

*ahem* any quoting of Eminem done here on my part is and will be entirely coincidental. It must have leached into my psyche somehow... I might need brain bleach.

Always nice to chat! (or carry out long-winded conversations that exceed the character limit, as it were)

Hayden said...

I actually somewhat enjoyed this movie- I agree, it wasn't the most accurate, but I have a bit of a soft spot for Billie Piper (even if I wasn't crazy about her in this role) because of Doctor Who. The movie was also able to make me like Edmund somewhat, 'cause I must admit he's my least favorite Austen hero. However, I think the main reason I did enjoy this movie was because I watched it right after the disastrous '99 version, and so this one was soooo much better in comparison that I probably enjoyed it more than if I had just seen it by myself. Anyway, the world really does need a good version of Mansfield Park, and it annoys me to death that people are always trying to change Fanny!!!!

Ruby Danderfluff said...

Maybe someday I'll get around to seeing the '99 version, just to know how bad this version could have been. I remember reading your reviews of the two Mansfields on your blog. Really enjoyed comparing and contrasting the two. Have to say, your movie reviews are superb, madam. ^^

I'm curious though, have you ever seen the Mansfield Park from 1983? We've been eyeing that one, but still haven't gotten around to watching it.

Edmund is not the most romantic Austen hero, that's fer sure. His flaws are made much more glaring by the toll they took on Fanny's comfort. Darcy was a little rude, sure, Knightly was a bit overbearing at times, but Edmund's neglect to mind Fanny had a snowball effect that sort of carried through the entire household. Up until his fling with Mary, he was really the only thing standing between Fanny and Mrs. Norris. Once that was taken away, Mrs. Norris and everyone else had no scruples whatsoever about relentlessly working and belittling Fanny till the cows came home.

After a few weeks to ponder, I do think there was a lot to like in this version, namely James D'arcy and Rory Kinnear's performances, and the scenery. I've also since discovered that this piece was originally on ITV, as opposed to BBC; just like the 2007 version of Northanger Abbey. I think there's definitely a number of similarities, and a certain stylistic feel they share. Still can't help but think that Northanger Abbey was at least a little bit more successful in keeping the heart and soul of the original source than this flick was.

Thanks so much for commenting, Hayden! Really appreciate your thoughts. =)

Hayden said...

whoops! Just noticed that you commented back *facepalms* No, I haven't seen the '83 version...my sister and mom got it from the library once, but they lasted about ten minutes before turning it off due to the slow pace and dull 80s cinematography. Some people really like that version, though. It's supposed to be the most accurate of the versions out there.

Hannah said...

Mansfield Park is my least favourite Jane Austen novel. I don't hate it by any means! I think it's brilliantly written and witty of course but I just can't love it like I do with Austen's other novels. That's not even because I dislike Fanny which seems to be the reason why most people dislike it. I actually really like Fanny, I want to scream at everyone's mistreatment of her! Also I can't stand Edmund Bertram. He's easily my least favourite Austen hero. For all of his noble talk and supposedly high morals he's so gullible and so easily deceived by Mary. And I feel like he's only settling for Fanny at the end too.

So, to be honest, even if a completely accurate and brilliantly acted version of MP came along I still wouldn't love it for all of the reasons that I've mentioned above. But I still feel that MP deserves a really good adaptation. This 2007 adaptation is only, at best, okay and the 1999 adaptation is awful! I think a modern, book accurate of MP could definitely work but like you I suspect that we probably won't get a new adaptation for a good long while :(

Ruby Danderfluff said...

Mansfield Park really is a painful novel. It made me want to throw it across the room nearly every time I opened it. Still, somewhere in there I fell in love with the complexities of the characters and their relationships, as *terribly* frustrating as they are. Edmund is most definitely, without a doubt, one of the weakest-willed males ever to grace an Austen novel. Ugh. So hard to read.

Fanny and Edmund definitely aren't wildly in love at the end, but I'm not entirely sure that's truly in their nature as a couple. Looking at the way she thought about Henry Crawford's offer, I get the sense that Fanny doesn't put much stock in emotional attachments as much as she does in similarity of temperament and morals. Crawford and she operate on completely different wavelengths, but she and Edmund have near identical lifestyles and ideals. That will probably save them from a *lot* of emotional strife down the road. Their love is a much gentler one, but hopefully one that'll last.

Though the ride through Fanny and Edmund's story is *really* bumpy and frustrating, I think the ending leaves a hopeful door open for each of their faults to be supplemented by the other. As one marital unit, I think Edmund can offer strong words when they need to be spoken, and Fanny can offer strong thoughts when they need to be thought.
Between the two of them, I think they'll make a pretty good team!

Whether or not it's worth the face-planting to get there is a call for the reader to make. x.x

As much as I had been rambling about Clueless and Emma, it had never occurred to me that Mansfield Park could work as a modern film (can't see the forest through the trees or something.) I like the way you think, madam! =D

(Oh gosh, that could be so fun.)

Hannah said...

I suppose it feels like Edmund is only settling for me because we never get to to "see" him falling in love with Fanny if you know what I mean? Austen basically wrote "Eventually Edmund did fall in love with Fanny sometime after he got over Mary and they got married and lived happily ever after. The End". But I don't like that. I like to experience the couples falling in love because if I don't it feels really unromantic to me.

Actually I did a REALLY poor job of expressing myself with my point about a modern Mansfield Park adaptation! I was trying to do something else at the same time you see. What I actually meant was a "more modern" adaptation of Mansfield Park because I had the 80s miniseries in mind which was the last book accurate adaptation. I obviously shouldn't blog whilst trying to do other things! LOL.

I wouldn't entirely discount the idea of a modern-day update though. I read a comment on a forum ages ago where someone suggested that it could actually work in the modern day. Fanny could be a child from a developing country (like China) that gets adopted by the Bertrams.

Ruby Danderfluff said...

That is definitely true. Unlike every other Austen book, we really don't see them falling in love at all! The story itself is really a lot of *ugly* back story to the actual romance. With all that in mind, I smell a fan fiction somewhere...

Well China is a very interesting proposition! That would quickly take care of a lot of the sticky issues with the adopting, and subsequently allowing your son to marry your niece. That would be really hard to reconcile, otherwise.