Tuesday, September 24, 2013

I've Got a Little List... "Phantom of the Opera" Links of Various Kinds

From http://icecreamrazorblades.tumblr.com/page/3    Phantom

     Heya!  For this evening, in honor of Celebrate Musicals week, I've collected a few websites, videos, and articles on all things Phantom of the Opera.  Funny what sort of stuff you come across on the internet.....


1. The Complete Libretto (Stage)

In case you want to check some lyrics for any and all reasons.  Extreeemly useful for all your Phantom needs.

2. The Complete Libretto (Film Version)

Great for comparing versions!  This one comes from the same mother site as the stage libretto above.

I know a lot of Phans will have already seen it... but this kind of thing just has to be shared at these sort of things!  This music video for the "The Phantom of the Opera" single was released even before the stage version had debuted (if I remember correctly), even before they had kicked Steve Harley out of the Phantom role and replaced him with Michael Crawford.  All I can say is, this video doesn't help my ambivalence with Sarah Brightman, and I'll never bemoan Michael Crawford's voice again after this performance. *Shudder*

And what on earth is with the Egyptian costumes??

I guess I should have mentioned in the tag that my first exposure to the Phantom, in all likelihood, was probably, actually Wishbone.  The ending is a little bizarre on this one, but I guess they wanted to alter it for the kiddos.  Who knew a Jack Russell Terrier could make such a fabulous Raoul?  Great episode.


Can't remember for the life of me where we discovered this, but this is a great 20-minute-ish behind-the-scenes look at the production of the 25th Anniversary Concert.  The sheer magnitude of that production really hits you, watching this.  They talk a little bit about just how many costumes they had to ship to England from other countries' productions to accommodate the larger cast, and difficulties with choreographing all the members in this alien venue, and much, much more.  It's really neat to see some footage of rehearsals and back-stage mulling during the performance as well.

(4:45 Part 1 *croak*)
(John Owen Jones and Anthony Warlow @ 2:41 Part 2!)

 (5:20 Part 2- Tee hee)

(Katie Hall @ 6:21 Part 2!)  Apparently they actually used many of the cast members from previous runs in the smaller roles for this production.  Katie Hall cameos, John!!


I have no idea what the story is behind this cartoon, but it's exceedingly diverting.  I haven't read the Gaston Leroux novel, yet, but most of the comments on the YouTube page seem to indicate this actually plays very closely to the book.  After watching this cartoon, I can definitely see why some would think Raoul is a jerk-face.

7. Phantom Costume Site
This links to an in-depth collection of pictures and specs on Maria Bjornson's original "Phantom" costume design.  Loads of pictures of costumes from all around the world if you link through to the photo galleries attached.  Vera neat stuff.

8. Sarah Brightman and Antonio Banderas Singing "The Phantom of the Opera"

Waay back before the movie had even been formally "pulled together", Antonio Banderas had already spent a number of years in preparation for the leading role... but, as we all know, that never panned out.  I guess this is his consolation prize?  Thoughts?
(Plus Shipping and Handling)


Nice article on the Chandelier crash.


That's right!  You too can own a "Phantom of the Opera" crashing chandelier!  500 pounds of sheer metalic crystal-crusted, beaded, glory, built to fly up to the top of your theater at a rate of 4' per second.


I had been planning on linking to a number of Phantom "comparison videos" we've been enjoying, of late, but there really are far, far to many to post in one place... suffice to say there are a plethora of fantastic videos on YouTube comparing certain parts of various performances of the Phantom of the Opera.  Tremendous fun, and a great way to get a feel for how various actors differ from each other.  GlassPrism, on YouTube, has some of the most exhaustive comparison videos, even incorporating footage from other countries like Japan and Germany; very cool stuff.  Otherwise, just type "phantom of the opera comparison" into the YouTube search engine and have at it! =)

This is one of our favorites. *cough*

So... that's all I've got for now!  What do y'all think?  Have you found some neat Phantom-related things around the interweb?  Please do share!  (it's fun!)

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Oh, I am so not a fan of Sarah Brightman's Christine! I like SB when she's singing classical stuff like Pie Jesu but I don't like her Christine at all. Her acting is awful in all of those videos that I've seen of her and her voice is far too operatic and Carlotta-sounding. I really wish Rebecca Caine (the original London Cosette) had originated the role of Christine instead. She's one of my favourites, her cadenza in Think of Me blows SB's version out of the water easily: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX4H02s2Q0o

Hee hee, that cartoon. Lots of Leroux fans love that one. Quite honestly I don't think that version is as faithful to the book as many Leroux fans make out. It still changes a lot of stuff around for no good reason like making Erik swing around the opera house like George of the Jungle! I think the Leroux fans get misled by the final 10 minutes of it, which are admittedly quite accurate.

This is an excellent post BTW. Here's a Phantom link for you: Have you heard of the Phantom Reviewer? He's a YouTube reviewer who's spent the last few years reviewing every POTO adaptation out there. This is one of my favourites that he's done : D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_iehL7Zto

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Have you ever seen the 1925 Lon Chaney silent version? Very cool and exceedingly scary at one point, even when you know it's coming. I'm sure you can find it online, though I'm being lazy and not looking for it for you, sorry.

Ruby Danderfluff said...

Oh goodness, Indigo! I'm definitely not used to a Christine with a voice that low, but my sister and I were completely floored while listening to Rebecca Caine's "Think of Me." I might have to do some further research, might...

He he. George of the jungle. You got that right.

That Phantom Reviewer video has us howling with laughter! Too much to comment on here, but a big big "thank you" for sharing. Would you mind if I added it to the post? I'd definitely be sure to reference your referral.

We actually didn't get to finishing the silent version, Hamlette. We were in the middle of a streak of (very) bad silent movies at the time; so very early on in the film, I think when the ballerinas stumbled down into the Phantom's lair accidentally, even if that on it's own wasn't all that weird, compounded with all the other stuff we had just seen, we decided we just couldn't take anymore for the time being. Hopefully we'll be able to try it again sometime in the future, but from the screen-caps and clips I've seen, he definitely does look scary as all get out! Not a sunburn, that's for sure. ;)