Monday, July 28, 2014

The Battle of the Five Armies Teaser Trailer

Neat, right?  (Source)

Ladies and gents, we have a trailer!


Despite being royally disappointed by The Desolation of Smaug, I can't help getting ridiculously excited after this trailer.  Bilbo! Tauriel.  Smaug!  Carnage!  Pippin's song (oh my.  Pippin's song!!)  Galadriel at Dol Guldur!   Dwarves in their battle gear!  Elven armies!!  Bard!  Thorin's got the gold-sickness!  Ahh!  Thranduil in battle!!  Azgog.

Battle rams!!!

What I had heard was going to be a sniveling army of warthog steeds has instead been transformed into a clattering swarm of ram steeds.  So dignified.  So tough.  So stout.  So glorious.  So dwarven.  Perfect solution, that.  Love!

I'm loving all the colors, especially in Erebor, this time around.  DOS seemed a lot darker... too dark.  It's nice to see everything brightened up a bit here.  Of course, it could just be my computer screen.

I'm feeling a little better about the prospect of this movie... but trying not to hold my breath.


New poster for BOTFA released today
Chills.

You make it very hard, Peter Jackson.

5 comments:

Charity said...

What disappointed you about the second film?

I mean, goodness sakes, it had Lee Pace in a long white haughty wig swanning about scowling at everyone. That 10 minutes was enough for me to live on for weeks. ;)

Ruby Danderfluff said...

Actually, Lee Pace's majestically aristocratic angry eleven sass was my favorite part of DOS. I think it must be hard to really pull off that particular flavor of dignity and aethereal grace, especially when the mirkwood elves also need to be a shade wilder and feral in addition. But he pulled it off marvelously. So marvelously.

Overall, I have a lot of issues with DOS that I'm trying to formulate into a post as we speak. It's tricky to pinpoint in a few words, since there's a lot I genuinely loved in the elements I really had problems with. I.e, I can't say I hated Smaug, but there are parts of his design that I think really spoiled the good elements. You probably don't want your ear talked off here, but a longer post on that is definitely in the works. =)

Charity said...

When the camera panned up Thranduil's outfit and crown and gorgeous eyes, I leaned into my best friend and said, "Elf porn." He's... lovely. Really, really lovely. Perfectly cold, perfectly poised, perfectly temperamental.

The only problem I had with it is Kili / Tauriel. I don't think that was needed, although I do like them bringing in more Elves to balance out the story a bit. I also think PJ is prolonging the series a bit too much; I enjoy the movies, but they do drag a bit in places. I'm excited about the third one, though -- mostly in dealing with Galadriel and Elrond at Dol Gudar. Bring on saving Gandalf!

I'll read your criticism with interest! :)

Ruby Danderfluff said...

Bwahaha. Yes, precious, perfect elves be perfect indeed.

And yes again, I have many problems with the Kili/Tauriel thing, but (and this is going to sound weird coming from a purist) I actually thought Legolas was a decent elven addition to the story. Necessary? No. Harmless? I think so. Also nice to have another familiar face from LOTR on the screen while Gandalf gallivanted off to Dol Guldur.

I've probably said too much. haha.

Charity said...

I don't mind Legolas being there, either. I quite like him as a character, and the whole "Ewwww Gimli" face cracked me up. :D