Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Nanowrimo, The Classics Club, and Creaky Writing (I have a few questions)

(Source)

     I think I need help.

     Maybe it's the habits I've had to develop over the past semester, maybe it's my lack of writing experience, maybe it's Maybelline.  For whatever reason, my writing's been feeling quite long-winded, pointless, and downright creaky, especially when it comes to generating posts for The Classics Club.  After five months of essays picking apart short stories to the last atom, it's like I don't know how to write a short review without micro-analyzing every last bit of the story.  It gets really long (and not much fun to read, I'm sure.)  And doing all that inevitably takes more time than it actually took to read the material.

     (if that's any indication, I'm probably much more of a INTP than an INTJ.  It's a blessing... and a curse.)

     (or maybe just a curse.)

(Source)
     I'm also trying to plan my first novel for Camp Nanowrimo (the summer equivalent of its November sibling.)  I used to write little stories when I was also little, but it's been a very very long time, and planning an entire novel has got me stumped.  Some sources cite the virtues of an extensive story outline, character bios, chapter plans, and whatnot, while others will insist that it's perfectly okay (and more natural for some writers) to just develop the story as you go.  Personally, "pantsing" it and letting the story evolve on its own has a lot of attraction, but I've also always appreciated having structure where possible (again, the whole Perceiving/Judging conundrum.)  I'm beginning to think I've reached a point in planning where, since I've never written long fiction, there's nut much more I can do without just dipping my toe into the water and trying what I have so far.  Or maybe I'm just impatient/bad-at-planning.  Don't know.

     Anyway, then it hit me that I'm surrounded by bloggers who have been doing Nanowrimo and The Classics Club much longer than I have.  So I was wondering if any of you have pointers or tips on these types of writing.  Do you have any particular structure you like to use in book reviews, or do you just wing it?  When it comes to writing fiction, what have been your experiences with outlining and/or "pantsing?"  Any advice for a conflicted newbie such as myself?

     Not sure what to do, but we'll see how it goes.

7 comments:

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

YES! Let's talk about writing! I have adrenaline and caffeine and joy coursing through me. If I get too talky, tell me to shut up.

I have written the first drafts of six novels, finished and polished umpteen short stories, and after 20 years of writing, I have found what works for me. I have pantsed. I have outlined. I've won Nanowrimo several times (I forget right now if it's 4 or 5) and participated more than that. I have written Nano novels when I knew the characters like old friends, I have written Nano novels when I'd just conceived the novel two weeks earlier. I've won both ways.

For me, pantsing is too hard. But outlining is much too constraining. I have learned that I write best when I know my characters pretty well, when I know the beginning and ending of my story/novel and several key scenes throughout, and when I have a clear idea of what my overall point is. "What's it all about, Alfie?" If I can answer that, I'm good. If I can't, it's gonna take me 8 drafts before I can send the sucker out into the world, or it might never gel at all.

So my advice to you is... daydream a lot. Spend as much time in your novel's world as you can before you start Camp Nano.

I find it really helpful to "journal as characters" to get to know them. Write a journal-style essay/message/thing by each character -- it helps sometimes to have them write about a specific thing, but other times just rambling along in their voice can bring up some really useful information. Especially when it comes to their motivation.

Finally, fill your creative reservoir. I know not every writer/artist has this, but most of the ones I know do -- your creative output is directly related to your creative input. You fill up on books and movies and paintings and any kind of creative stuff, and words will gush forth. If your reservoir starts to go dry, your words dry up. Fill it up again, and your words will return.

Really finally, remember that it's totally okay to write crap during Nano. You can cut it later.

Ruby Danderfluff said...

6 novels?? That's absolutely amazing. I have to say, I've always been really inspired by how much blogging you do. I guess I shouldn't be surprised you're just as zealous about your fiction, too. =)

It's so neat to hear from you what has worked as a happy medium between the two extremes! Having key points, themes, and solid characters makes a lot of sense. I think I just might be getting there, but it'll definitely need a little more work before July.

I love the idea of journaling as the character! For me, a large part of the appeal of pantsing was being able to feel out the characters as I write (because right now I'm having a lot of difficulty with characterization,) but I like how this way one might be able to isolate and develop the character apart from the complications of the storyline. A solid foundation to start with. Neat!

The creative reservoir is an interesting point. I remember feeling a really significant boost in the quality of my journaling when I was reading Austen a few years back. I've been reading a lot more this summer, and no shift in yet, as far as I can tell, (though I'm definitely getting a strong sense of how I don't want to write, haha,) but here's hoping. It's so great to just to sit back and soak in a good book.

Haha, I probably will write a lot of garbage during July. Thanks so much for the advice and encouragement!

Ruby Danderfluff said...

Have you got anything planned for Camp Nanowrimo?

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Perhaps I should say 6 novellas -- they range from about 45,000 words to 100,000, and one of them is not actually finished because I was writing it for my third Nano, but then my hubby got a new job and I had to quit Nano and pack, though I have the whole story in my head still and hope to finish it one day. But I've got more than 50 fanfic stories finished and online, several non-fanfic stories and articles published in ezines and magazines over the years... remember, I'm 34! I was 14 when I decided to be a writer, so I've had 20 years to write that much stuff. Also, right now I'm revising a novel for the very first time. Always before, when I've finished a novel, I've felt like, "Okay, that's done, it's out of my system, I don't need to revisit that." But this sixth novel is different. I feel like it could get published.

But enough about me ;-) I hope journalling-as-character works for you! I got that idea from a book on writing by James N. Frey, though now I can't remember if it was in How to Write a Damn Good Novel or How to Write a Damn Good Mystery. Possibly both. I love both those books, as well as The Key: How to Write Damn Good Fiction Using the Power of Myth. Totally recommend them if you're looking for some useful how-to and how-not-to info on writing.

The reason outlining doesn't work for me is that I love the joy of discovery that I feel as I write. If I know step-by-step what happens in each chapter, I get bored. So I get what you're saying about feeling out the characters. And I don't always know all my characters when I set out. Like my sixth novel, the one I'm revising -- I knew 2 characters really well, but the other 3 main characters fleshed out as I wrote. Journaling-as-characters is also great if you get stuck -- those characters in your head can be really helpful if you'll let them!

Sometimes I feel like all my blogging starts to drain my creative reservoir and I don't have anything left for fiction. But in reality, the more I write, the more I desire to fill my reservoir, and so the more I write. Which doesn't mean I don't have fallow periods, cuz I do, both in blogging and writing. But they all end eventually.

And nope, nothing planned for Camp Nano. I'm co-writing (slowly) a fanfic story with a friend, just finished another one, and am revising a novel, so no more writing for me, thank you!

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

BTW... I tagged you in a game of Bucket List Tag here on my blog. Play if you want to!

How's the writing going? Any good output this month?

Ruby Danderfluff said...

Thanks for tagging me, Hamlette; sounds like a blast! My bucket list is rather puny as it stands right now, but that's the fun of choosing 10 items, right? Can't wait to participate!

I managed to write a little bit, but struggled with settling into a natural writing style (or writing pace, to boot.) Maybe it's because I've not written fiction in a very long time. Definitely not done trying to wrestle that thing onto paper, though! =)

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

I look forward to your list!

Well, a little writing is better than nothing :-) Sometimes it's hard to get back in the groove, but keep trying! The only difference between a writer and someone who wants to be a writer is whether or not they write.