In honor of Celebrate Musicals Week, today I thought it'd be fun to highlight one of our family's favorite musical performers.We first discovered Anthony Warlow much later than most of his fans. His appearance (starting @ 3:23) at the end of the Phantom of the Opera 25th Anniversary Concert, however brief, led to us, well, googling some more performances of his, and that ultimately led us to becoming both Warlow, and Gilbert and Sullivan fans. We've really enjoyed listening to the the sheer range and power of his voice, as well as his capability to add intonation, and, well, acting to his vocal performances. He makes it look effortless.
Anthony Warlow has played many many roles, ranging from "high opera to musical comedy". He's especially known for his impressive impressions (sorry, had to) and wide vocal range. A human chameleon, y'all. Unfortunately, I'm not an Australian opera buff, so I'm not sure what exactly he's most known for, but he has played in many Gilbert and Sullivan productions with Opera Australia, from Archibald Grosvenor (Patience) and Captain Corcoran (H.M.S. Pinafore), to a Jack-Sparrow-inspired Pirate King (Pirates of Penzance), as well as Enjolras (Les Miserables), and Gabriel Eisenstien (Die Fledermaus), to his current role as Daddy Warbucks in Broadway's new "Annie" production. So, as many things as there are to listen to, I thought it might be fun to post a few of the clips of his we've enjoyed over the past few months.
Annnd... YouTube will not cooperate with any blogging shenanigans today, so I can't put the videos on directly. There are linkies to the videos, though, that will have to do.
1.Love Changes Everything - I know I'm treading on ice here, since Michael Ball is generally seen as the standard for "Love Changes Everything." Warlow's version does start out a little tame, but if you hold out till the big notes in the third verse, it's mucho worth it.
2.When I Go Out of Door - This is from the recorded performance of Opera Australia's production of Gilbert and Sullivan's "Patience." Warlow plays Archibald Grosvenor, an ridiculously handsome aesthetic that, though he may not be completely keen on the movement, feels it's his duty to nature to make himself as beautiful as possible, so that others may enjoy gazing upon his perfection (strange, but hey, this is G&S.) Then the topsy-turvy goes on, and this happens. See the wiki if you wish to spoil what's going on for yourself, or enjoy in ignorance, it works both ways; just look at that footwork! =D
3.Trial By Jury - Another G&S performance. Here is the finale from "Trial By Jury"; Warlow plays an old and decrepit judge that may or may not be very qualified for the job in this courtroom opera. This is a great example of how adaptable and transformable Mr. Warlow is in many roles. He's a chameleon, I tell you, chameleon!
4.Confrontation (Jekyll and Hyde) - In 1994, Anthony Warlow contributed to the concept recording for the new musical "Jekyll and Hyde." As far as I know, he's never actually played in this role on stage, but the recording of the argument between Jekyll and Hyde is just marvelous. The way he differentiates between the "two" characters, and the tension in it is really wonderful to listen to. Great song, great singer. (Constantine Marules can't compare; sorry dude.)
(By the by, the pictures in the video are not Warlow, I'm guessing they came from the musical when it actually released)
5.Bring Him Home - If you don't listen to anything else on this post, do listen to this song! I'm not sure if Warlow has ever played Jean Valjean before, but this rendition of "Bring Him Home" is just absolutely amazing. Hit play. You know you want to. ;)
So, there's some Anthony Warlow for you! As stated before, he's quickly become a favorite in this house, and we may or may not be hoping that he'll soon choose to leave Annie, and subsequently be cast in lead role for the new North American "Phantom of the Opera" Tour. Hey, one can hope, right?
What do y'all think? Do you have any favorite musical performers?
3.Trial By Jury - Another G&S performance. Here is the finale from "Trial By Jury"; Warlow plays an old and decrepit judge that may or may not be very qualified for the job in this courtroom opera. This is a great example of how adaptable and transformable Mr. Warlow is in many roles. He's a chameleon, I tell you, chameleon!
4.Confrontation (Jekyll and Hyde) - In 1994, Anthony Warlow contributed to the concept recording for the new musical "Jekyll and Hyde." As far as I know, he's never actually played in this role on stage, but the recording of the argument between Jekyll and Hyde is just marvelous. The way he differentiates between the "two" characters, and the tension in it is really wonderful to listen to. Great song, great singer. (Constantine Marules can't compare; sorry dude.)
(By the by, the pictures in the video are not Warlow, I'm guessing they came from the musical when it actually released)
5.Bring Him Home - If you don't listen to anything else on this post, do listen to this song! I'm not sure if Warlow has ever played Jean Valjean before, but this rendition of "Bring Him Home" is just absolutely amazing. Hit play. You know you want to. ;)
So, there's some Anthony Warlow for you! As stated before, he's quickly become a favorite in this house, and we may or may not be hoping that he'll soon choose to leave Annie, and subsequently be cast in lead role for the new North American "Phantom of the Opera" Tour. Hey, one can hope, right?
What do y'all think? Do you have any favorite musical performers?
No comments:
Post a Comment