
I know my family is part of a very very small minority in that we don't mind, even like, even, yeah... love Gerard Butler as the Phantom of the Opera. *ducks to avoid rogue tomatoes* But please understand that by writing this post I'm not at all trying to make an effort to negate the brilliance of other performances. I definitely make no pretensions to say he's the best of the best, or anything of the sort. For me at least, choosing a favorite phantom is just the old apples and oranges routine all over again. Every adaptation brings its own strengths and weaknesses to the table, and there are way too many intricacies in any given performance to pick just favorite. But that's one of the many beauties to The Phantom of the Opera. The entire outlook or perspective on the story can turn a complete 180 with the slightest change to the way one syllable is sung... delightfully changeable and complex. *le sigh*
Some Phantom actors choose to play up the animal side of him, growling and howling on the roof scene when he's been "betrayed" by Christine, others work the insane angle, laughing and cackling at the chandelier fall all. the. way. down, still others emphasize the softer side of the depressed and lonely outsider that just wants somebody toohooo loooooovvve.... *ahem* It's the combination and the interaction of these elements, along with a host of other details that add many layers to any given performance.With all that in mind, I think Gerard Butler's performance deserves just as much unbiased analysis as the next actor's. It's really easy to dismiss his performance as "horrific" and forget many of the really excellent points in it, and that's, well, just sad; because he does have a lot of really interesting, strong points I've not seen in any other performances. I've also found a lot of interest in considering why he did go wrong where he did. It wasn't perfect by any means, and that's... odd.
Let me 'splain... No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
For the movie, Joel Shumacher and Andrew Lloyd Webber agreed during the early stages of development that the lead actors must sing their own parts. No dubbing from other singers. Shumacher also took issue with the fact that bringing in a professional theater cast would lead to the risk of alienating those
Boy, that elephant in the room is getting uncomfortable, no? The flat notes. Why on earth would the lead character in a prerecorded musical go flat?
"'Why?' So simples, precious. Rotten Butler! *gollum!!* Should have gotten real Broadway singer instead of fiddling round with novices. Stupid Shumachers! Stupid!!"
Oh hi, it's you.. again. Well... that's not exactly what I mean. I'll concede, you do make a good point. For such a renown musical, you would think they'd work as hard as possible to make sure every note is pristine. Especially with the technology they had available to them to copy and paste good portions together. Seems like it would be piece of cake, right?
"Yeees precious!! Must be so tune-deaf, Butler, if they needs just give up after trying forever to get it perfects. Failed, precious..."
Maybe... That's where things start getting a wee bit fishy for me. It was around 2006, just a year or two after the "Phantom" movie was released, when my family and I went with a group to a recording studio for a tour. It was a smaller, independently owned studio, but one of the most impressive things we took away from the tour was just how much fiddling they can do with a really, really rotten recording. The tour guide grinned as he gave us a demonstration of what kind of tools studios have available to make anyone "sound like a million bucks" with ease. The power of auto-tune is underestimated. And with a production that hinges so heavily on everyone's voices sounding absolutely perfect, I don't doubt for an instant it was readily available to the Phantom team, and would have provided an easy fix for such a seemingly huge problem. So, logically, the only conclusion I can come to is that the flat notes were actually...well... intentional.
"Intentional?? Andrew Lloyd Webber wouldn't do that to us. Webber understands good music!"
I agree! Andrew Lloyd Webber knows good music. And I know this sounds completely anti-Webber, but if they could have fixed any of the issues, and they obviously didn't, then the only reasonable conclusion we can come to is that the final cut was exactly what the "powers that be" wanted, flat notes and all. Now, why they wanted it? That's something I've been puzzling over for some time... and I think the answer lies in a comparison of the two male protagonists in the film:
![]() |
| Mr. Perfect. (now he's on a horse) |
Gerard Butler, on the other hand, as we all know, is not a professional singer. His voice is rough, gritty, and imperfect. As Andrew Lloyd Webber said:
"We needed somebody who has a bit of rock and roll sensibility in him. He's got to be a bit rough, a bit dangerous; not a conventional singer. Christine is attracted to the Phantom because he's the right side of danger."
![]() |
| Mr. Not-so-perfect. (no horse either. tsk.) |
At least that's how I see it. The differences not only draw a dark line of contrast between the two men, but end up making a statement about the nature of art itself. One that's definitely not seen as strongly in more polished stage versions.
That said, ultimately, I believe Gerard Butler pulled off what the creators set out for him to do. His acting was fraught with the subtleties that film acting requires, the animal was plain to see, and even if they were touched up a bit, his falsetto notes are absolutely beautiful. I'm not usually emotional during movies (with a few exceptions), but his moment during the roof scene always manages to blow me away. The close, intimate point of view the film medium provides, paired with the wildly contrasting personas of the Phantom and Raoul, seen by the differences in "polish", really make for something vastly different from the stage version. The film is an entirely different creature, and the same can be said for its cast. And though I do love other casts and their renditions, I think this cast, Gerard Butler included, will always have a special place "inside my mind".



10 comments:
(Something that has bothered me to an increasing degree is the way Gerard pronounces some words while singing. He seems to overemphasize the syllables sometimes... I came across an interesting forum thread that suggested that even that was purposeful, to show a sort of speech impediment. Not sure what to think, but something to think about I suppose.)
Well Ramin never had any voice training either which is why, he IS the phantom, WHY oh, why, did they not use him :,( it would have been almost perfect.
Well, I'm not a big Butler fan (I'm a Ramin Phan!), but you do have a point, he did act his role the way they wanted him too. I just don''t think that was the best way to portray the Phantom.
Ramin is rather fabulous! I think he does a really great job of bringing a lot of emotion to the role. My guess is he was either already busy doing something else at the time of the movie's production, or he was too theatrical (maybe?) for the role. He was obviously on their radar if they used his picture in the film as Christine's father. Not sure what to think there. :P
Gerard's Phantom is definitely a vera different approach to the character, whether or not it was a good move..... I guess that's really a matter of personal preference. There are definitely things to appreciate (and hate) from every single performance, but I'd honestly rather see a lot of very different performances than to see it played out the same way every single time. That's what makes this all so fun. =D
Thanks for the comments! Really enjoy feedback from others besides my immediate family. haha. =P
YES! Another Butler fan! YES YES YES!
. It's the savage passion not the perfection, that makes his voice so bewitching to Christine.
This is precisely my viewpoint. I could not have said it better if I tried. Butler's performance is raw and rough, exuding the kind of maleness that Christine had no experience with, having been raised in a ballet school and all. Butler's Phantom gives off this "I want you, I need you, oh baby, oh baby" vibe that is simultaneously compelling and repellent -- he wants Christine, all of her, but if she doesn't want him... it's not going to be pretty. And we all know it from the get-go.
And, honestly, I find his voice (and the rest of him) really attractive. The soundtrack is my favorite version (ducks all those rotten tomatoes) because of him. And Patrick Wilson, who actually makes me like Raoul.
"I want you, I need you, oh baby, oh baby" rofl!!
"simultaneously compelling and repellent -- he wants Christine, all of her, but if she doesn't want him... it's not going to be pretty. And we all know it from the get-go." Marvelously put, ma'am! (I think) Gerard really does a great job of maintaining the threat in his character. I heard (forget where) that a concerted effort was made in the movie to make the phantom a more looming, haunting presence that you can feel strongly, even when he's off-screen. Vera good move, imho.
We'll both need some rotten tomato shields, I think, when it comes to Gerard and Patrick. Definitely some serious hate out there for both of them. XD
Must admit that "I want you, I need you, oh baby, oh baby" is actually a line from 10 Things I Hate About You. It's Cat mocking Patrick, one of my favorite lines ever.
I think that, especially for moviegoers who might not have been familiar with either the story or the whole idea of musical theater, it's really important to have a sexy Phantom because if he's not attractive, it's a lot harder to see why Christine would fall under his spell. Makes more sense in the novel, but yeah. But he also has to be scary, because otherwise, why shouldn't she just go live in his crazy cool underground palace?
I just... don't know. For me, the musical of the entire production falls flat. It's not as obvious if you're watching it and distracted by the visuals, but if you just listen to it, as I have many times, you'll notice the stiffness of the actors and their singing both. (I cringe every time I hear "She has been well taught!" -- it's just so... unnatural.)
Gerard was chosen for his looks. They wanted a sexy Phantom more than a singing Phantom, but in choosing an untrained voice that hit a lot of flat notes, they completely undermined him (well, that, and taking out all his magic tricks... WHY???).
Oh, well. Thank God, now we have the 25th Anniversary recording, and I never have to watch the movie again!
Hey Hamlette!
Haha, I've been meaning to see that movie at some point. Seem to remember reading it was loosely based of of "The Taming of the Shrew." Curious.
You can definitely see changes made to appeal to the average Jo Shmo movie goer. Just like every movie adaptation of every book, some changes work out better than others. I don't mind a sexy phantom all that much, either, but I guess it's each fan's job to decide whether it works for them or not. Definitely interesting to weigh the pros and cons.
Hey Charity!
The flat notes are impossible to deny in Gerard's performance. Though, again, with the technology available to them, I have a really hard time believing they wouldn't have fixed it unless they *wanted* the imperfections. Maybe for some sort of commentary on primal/perfect art. The world may never know for sure, but I wouldn't hold it against Gerard, if it truly was an executive decision.
The choice to remove the magic tricks is indeed puzzling. Do you think they did it to make him seem more human? Maybe that was a subplot they just didn't want to attempt to explain. :P
Listening to the tracks without the visuals definitely bring out the little frustrating things in *every* performance. For me, the good outweighs the bad when it comes to the movie soundtrack, and even the 25th anniversary recording just hasn't had the same appeal that this one does (Some of the ways certain words are pronounced just drive me up the wall, though Ramin is flawless, and wonderful to listen to.) At the end of the day, I think most of it boils down to personal preference; like you, I'm glad that there are so many drastically different options to choose from! =)
Yes, 10 Things is a retelling of Shrew, and it's extremely fun. Ties with A Knight's Tale for my favorite Heath Ledger movie.
Post a Comment