Saturday, March 15, 2014

The Sunflower Blogger Award: Another Tag!



     This is all very exciting, Heidi at  "Along the Brandywine" and "Hamlette at "Hamlette's Soliloquy" and "The Edge of the Precipice" have both tagged my blog for the Sunflower Award!  Despite crazy schedules I've finally finished it after having way too much fun in doing so; these bloggers concocted excellent questions!

The Rules:
  • Share 11 facts about yourself. 
  • Answer the questions set by your Nomination Blogger 
  • Nominate 11 bloggers. 
  • Set questions for the nominated bloggers.
11 facts about me:
  • I've made it a goal to complete an extended Lord of the Rings marathon at least once, but have never managed to do so.  The closest attempt only reached the end of The Two Towers.
  • On a trip to my aunt's place many years ago, I set off all of the mousetraps in her garage, and left in their place a huge cardboard sign exclaiming "Welcome mice!"
  • My family met Jason Castro once at an event.  He was very friendly, but we were so starstruck, I don't think we said two words together.  It was a little awkward.
  • I've collected (and continue to collect) a group of majestic plush dragons that guard our bookshelf.
  • I once got to try escargot, and it was actually rather tasty. Almost like a mushroom, but not quite.
  • I have hyper-mobile joints; even so, my knees are about as inflexible as they come.
  • I also have an unhealthy attachment to thick sweaters and oversized hoodies.
  • Mark Twain and I don't get along.
  • I'm a very slow reader and writer, but I love to do both.
  • Sunflowers are not my favorite flower (though they be loverly;) my favorites are Gerber Daisies and Gladioli.
  • I think bullet points extremely nifty and rather tidy-looking.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now for the questions:


Hamlette's questions:

If you had to spend the rest of your life in a different century of Earth's past, where would you spend it?

     If I realistically had to do so, it would certainly be at least in the 20th century.  I'd have a hard time surviving without modern medicine.  In addition, it'd be absolutely super fantastic to be able to write (or visit!) C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien; there's so much I'd like to pick their brains over.  I'd also want to visit my  grandparents as young people, attend Elizabeth II's coronation, decorate that aforementioned mid-century modern cabin, watch the 1969 moon landing, and see a lot of Disney movies at their release (along with Star Wars.)  All lighthearted and fun stuff, but the 20th century also came with a lot of grief and tumult too.  It'd really be something else to closely observe the excitements, insecurities, and controversies of those times with the 20/20 hindsight and inside knowledge we have today.

What's your favorite salad dressing?

     Newman's Own's "Greek Vinaigrette" dressing has been a favorite of mine since we first discovered it a few years ago.  It has bits of black olive floating around in olive oils and apple cider vinegar, with the occasional nugget of feta cheese.  So yummy!

What's the worst movie (that you liked least) you saw in 2013?

     In July I finally saw the 2007 adaptation of Mansfield Park, after which I wrote this.  Suffice to say the movie and I didn't agree with each other.

Do you paint your toenails?

     I used to paint my toenails all the time, but recently my sister and I have been more wont to paint our fingernails than our toes.  Maybe it's a seasonal thing. =)

What are your three favorite TV shows?

Dover Thrift's patterned covers
make me so happy.
     Definitely Lost, Sherlock, and... I'm not sure... either Monk or Survivor.  I love each of them for different reasons;  Lost for its fantastic storytelling, intrigue, and its wonderful, entertaining, three-dimensional characters (and great actors to pull them off;) Sherlock for the same reasons; Monk for its hysterical screenplays, made even funnier if you or someone you know have the same OCD tendencies; Survivor, for the interesting group psychology elements. I'll have to delve deeper into those shows later!

Are there any books or movies you own more than one copy of?  If so, what are they?
     Besides our three separate Jane Austen sets and a pile of LOTR books and DVDs, I have three copies of The Taming of the Shrew: one tiny, dogeared hardback, and two Dover Thrift paperbacks (to this day I'm not sure why I enjoy that play so much.)  We also have three different copies of The Phantom of the Opera (2004): DVD, HD DVD, and Widescreen DVD.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And... Heidi's questions:

Do you have a favorite fairytale? If so: what is it and why?

     Though I do adore many of the classic fairytales from Hans Christian Anderson, the brothers Grimm, and others written by Oscar Wilde, Edith Nesbit's "Melisande" is definitely my favorite.  It's about a princess that's cursed with baldness from a very young age.  Once she's all grown up, she wishes for long, beautiful "golden hair a yard long, and that it would grow an inch every day, and grow twice as fast every time it was cut,"  This soon leads to a lot of confusion and adventure that can only be solved by someone very resourceful.  Nesbit's writing is always so fun (and hysterically funny) to read;  I love the little sneaky references and twists on the classics in this "fairytale satire."  The artwork by P.J. Lynch only adds to the delight.

The text from "Melisande" is all written out on this site.  No illustrations, but definitely worth a read if you ask me.

What are your thoughts on coffee? Tea?

     My family are self-professed coffee snobs, and while I really do thoroughly enjoy their coffee, I'll drink practically anything remotely resembling coffee.  Then last spring, we ordered a series of about 10 different Earl Grey teas to compare.  It was really amazing how much they differed from each other!  We loved them all (especially the Earl Grey from Wiliamson.)  I'm hoping now to try more loose-leaf teas with the tea basket  we received at Christmas.

Is there a good movie you’ve watched multiple times in the past year?

     Goodness, let's see... I was able to watch Austenland, Warm Bodies, twice, and The Pirates of Penzance about three or four times over!  Those three were definitely our favorites this past year.

What was/is your favorite children’s picture book?
Dogger
     Growing up, my aunt had an amazing children's book collection of which we were frequently recipients.  As a result, we've managed to keep a small army of favorite children's books.  But my special favorite, the one that still makes me well up every time, is "Dogger," by Shirley Hughes.  It's about a boy's bond with one ragged little toy dog, and the measures he and his family have to go to when "Dogger" suddenly goes missing.  Very sweet, and beautifully illustrated (as Shirley Hughes' books always are.)

If you were given the opportunity, would you rather travel to Hawaii or Australia? Why?

     Australia wins in my book.  Hawaii does have a lot to offer, but I'd much rather see the Sydney Opera House, wallabies, kangaroos, and kookaburras.  New Zealand is also conveniently located nearby.  Sounds like a good trip!

What is a particular, specific way God has blessed you in the last week?

     After falling behind ever so slightly in schoolwork, the past free week allowed me to catch up on some required reading without having to scramble.  Time to do the things I need to do always seems scarce, but it such a blessing when it is available.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've chosen to nominate :

and my questions for them:

Is there a fictional book you think everyone should read at least once?
Mr. Darcy or Mr. Knightley?
What would your dream car be?
Would you rather wear your hair in a bun or a braid?
What is your least favorite movie (or miniseries) of all time?
What movie do you think is the most underrated?  Most overrated?

Thanks so much to the ladies who nominated me, and long live bullet points!

10 comments:

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Great fun! I'm glad I'm not the only person with multiple copies of books and movies. Sometimes you need one to keep and one to lend, you know? And then those special editions with new commentaries and such get so tempting. Plus, I have at least a dozen book copies of Hamlet because they all have different thought-provoking essays in them.

Mmmmm. Lost. I've been enjoying Intelligence just because I have Josh Holloway's voice in my head again. Not a brilliant show, but a reasonably enjoyable one. And I missed him.

Okay, I'm answering your questions here because my blog post response got so long as it is :-)

Is there a fictional book you think everyone should read at least once?

No. However, I think more people should read classics and not be scared by them because they're seen as "old-fashioned" or "difficult."

Mr. Darcy or Mr. Knightley?

That's mean! Neither. I'll take Henry Tilney.

What would your dream car be?

A 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz convertible. Black.

Would you rather wear your hair in a bun or a braid?

A braid. My hair is braided probably 80% of the time. There's too much of it to stay in a bun very well -- buns only work when my hair is damp.

What is your least favorite movie (or miniseries) of all time?

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. A friend made me watch it, assuring me it was "really funny and not scary." HAH! After, she said, "Huh, I guess it was a lot funnier last time I watched it cuz we were drinking beer." Um, yeah, no, thanks so much for the disgusting images burned into my brain now!

What movie do you think is the most underrated? Most overrated?

Underrated: The Lone Ranger (2013)

Overrated: Citizen Kane.

Ruby Danderfluff said...

Shakespeare books are especially worth having more than one copy with all their annotations, essays, and footnotes, and since there are so many differing versions of the text itself! Whenever my friends' Shakespeare group will get together there's always confusion over whose lines belong to who. After that's finally worked out, we're then distracted by all the fun features in each book. Slows the process down a little bit, but quite enjoyable.

Ah. Josh Holloway. I've somehow failed to keep up with Intelligence; hopefully it'll be on Netflix before too long! In the meantime, I've also come across a show airing tomorrow with Henry Ian Cusick listed in the cast, looks like it might be fun... in a post-apocalyptic way:

http://www.hulu.com/the-100

Haha! Henry Tilney. Agreed.

Trying not to laugh over your Texas Chainsaw Massacre incident. I'm guessing your friend's movie recommendations have hitherto been taken with a grain of salt. o.o

I have just one question... Can a movie with Johnny Depp really be underrated? Either way, that does look like a fun movie.

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Hmm, hadn't heard of that HIC show. If only I had more viewing time! I'm having such a hard time keeping up on Intelligence.

Laugh all you like! I absolutely take her recommendations with a great deal of salt. Even now, eleven years later, I still sometimes ask her, "Did you watch this while you were drinking?" when I'm dubious about something she suggests.

Are you saying your *gasp* not a Johnny Depp fan?!?!?!?!?!?!

Heidi said...

Enjoyed reading your answers!! I have a lot of tag stuff up at the moment so-if it's all right with you-I'll post my answers here. :-)

Is there a fictional book you think everyone should read at least once? ~ Hmmmm. I really have a rather long list, but I’ll mix it up from the ordinary a bit and say The Chosen by Chaim Potok.

Mr. Darcy or Mr. Knightley? ~ I decline to answer that one! ;-) But no...if I’m driven to it, I’ll say Mr. Darcy.

What would your dream car be? ~ *cough* I actually don’t pay too much attention to cars, so can’t give a very well-informed answer there.

Would you rather wear your hair in a bun or a braid? ~ I wear my hair in a ponytail pretty much all week (braids should probably be incorporated), and generally twists/buns on Sundays. :-)

What is your least favorite movie (or miniseries) of all time? ~ I’ve seen a couple I really wish I hadn’t (pretty much due to awkward circumstances and inexperience in getting out of something on my part), but a *fine* family classic that I personally found flat (and annoying) was the original 1962 Music Man with Robert Preston.

What movie do you think is the most underrated? Most overrated? ~ For ease, we’ll keep this on the period drama front. Most underrated: the Gwyneth Paltrow Emma. Most overrated: the ’05 P&P with Keira Knightley.

Thank you, Ruby! And good questions!

Ruby Danderfluff said...

Whew! Finally got through the nasty half of the week. =)

lol Hamlette... I really enjoy watching Johnny Depp (just recently got to see Benny and Joon for the first time... very cute!) but recently it seems his presence in a movie is used by the studios as some kind of magical dvertising pixie dust thrown on by the fist-full. It's hard not to escape the very loud marketing (what might-be-called "overratedness") of Depp's movies. :P

That definitely doesn't stop me from watching them, though. He's such a chameleon!

I hadn't heard of The Chosen until now, Heidi. Looks very interesting... I've always been curious about traditional Jewish lifestyles in America; the 1940s setting make it even more intriguing!

Haha! All of our friends told my sister and I that we would love The Music Man to bits (strange, since our friends almost never reccommend movies that wholeheartedly,) but like you we weren't blown away by it. Shirley Jones' singing is always lovely, but the story itself just didn't do it for me.

It's always suprising to me that the Paltrow Emma isn't discussed a great deal in Austen circles, I agree. There's so much to like about it! There's a deal to like about '05 P&P too, but... eh. I think we share the same sentiments here.

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Benny and Joon was my first Johnny Depp movie! I saw it at a slumber party in the '90s, and have been a fan ever since. It was really gratifying when the first Pirates movie came out to have him getting wide attention at last, since I'd been appreciating him for years already. I think the trouble is that he's got that unpredictable artist thing going on, and so people expect him to be a certain way in movies, and when he chameleonically changes from role to role, it throws people off balance. Unlike going to see a Brad Pitt movie or a Tom Cruise movie, there is no way to really predict what going to see a Johnny Depp movie is going to be like because he changes so often.

If he plays a role "straight," ie not wacky or off-beat at all (think "Public Enemies" or "Chocolat"), people say he was boring. If he plays it off-beat and quirky, they complain that he's too weird. You can't have it both ways, people! Take him as he is or not at all.

Okay, sorry -- I get a little vehement about this sometimes. So what you meant with "can a Johnny Depp movie be underrated" is that you think the critics/audiences will embrace and laud anything he does, is that it? Sadly, The Lone Ranger bombed because critics were taking pot shots at it before it even opened and convinced large swaths of the public that it was either too stupid, too silly, or too serious, depending on the critic. When really, it's a hilarious tall tale that embraces classic western movie tropes and twists them to its own ends.

And look! I get vehement about that too! Time for me to shut up :-)

Ruby Danderfluff said...

Definitely the unpredictable artist, that man.

Wait. He was in Chocolat?? o.o

That is sort of what I was getting at. Though I do agree, the critics really did throw this one under the bus. Strange how that happens to certain movies (echoes of the whole John Carter disaster.) I'm really baffled at the contrast between the reception of The Lone Ranger and Rango if both are westerns with Johnny Depp that play around and twist the genre's stereotypes. If I'm remembering correctly, Rango did marvelously when it came to critical reception. Very odd.

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Yes. He's in Chocolat. Yum, yum, yum :-9

Hannah said...

I was a huge fan of Lost too! I stopped watching it at around S4 though. Not because I wasn't enjoying it. It was because I used to watch it online and my computer crashed. By the time it was fixed I was really far behind and I never managed to catch it up with it. Silly me. What did you think of the finale? I still haven't seen it and the reaction seems to be very mixed.

I think bullet points look great too! :)

I already did The Sunshine Award earlier this month so I thought I'd answer your questions in your comment feed like Hamlette :)

Is there a fictional book you think everyone should read at least once?

I'm going to say "No" but only because I can't narrow it down to one specific choice. There are many books that I think people should read!

Mr Darcy or Mr Knightley?
Henry Tilney is my dream Jane Austen hero without question but if I couldn't have him, er...

I'm sorry, I just can't answer this question! Darcy and Knightley are constantly battling it out for my second favourite Austen hero :D

What would your dream car be?

I'm not really a car person but I'd love a little Mini Cooper :)

Would you rather wear your hair in a bun or a braid?

A braid.

What is your least favourite movie (or miniseries) of all time?

I despise Mamma Mia! because I find it painfully unfunny and I think they should have hired actors who could actually sing. Amanda Seyfried is the only actor who actually sang well in that movie. Also someone told me that I was being pretentious and highbrow for hating it and that made me hate it even more.

What movie do you think is the most underrated? Most overrated?

Underrated: Tomb Raider is a huge guilty pleasure of mine so I'm going to go for that movie :D I know it's not great but it has some really entertaining scenes and I think it's a lot of fun.

Overrated: Juno or Avatar

Ruby Danderfluff said...

Hey Hannah! (or do you prefer Indigo?) Thanks for the comment!

Wow. Lost is one of those shows where you really can't miss an episode without getting completely... lost (sorry.) What a nightmare that crash must have been.

...Lost is a touchy subject in our house. We actually ended up taking a long hiatus shortly after the whole Nikki-and-Paulo-buried-alive thing, and picked it back up on Netflix as it lead up to the finale. The finale itself was, for us, incredibly frustrating. It had a very different tone from the rest of the series, and also opened up so many more questions than it actually answered. Ultimately, it left us feeling a more than a little confused and, well, cheated in the end. My family has never recovered, but I still love the show.

That said, it was satisfyingly tear-jerking if you ignore the unanswered questions.

Consequently, I'm determined to come up with my own solution that takes into account all of those questions, by (eventually) re-watching the series more carefully. Some in my family thinks it's a futile exercise, but I also get to relive some of my favorite TV of all time. So, we'll see.

Haha, I'm suprised that everybody loves Tilney so much (though he's also my favorite by far.) It seems like there's usually a bit more favor for at least Knightley. :P

Ah Mini coopers. Adorable.

I've also found myself hating things more when people criticize me for hating them. We're all entitled to our opinions, but oh well.